Objective of a Research
The purpose of research is to discover answers to questions through the application of scientific procedures. The main aim of research is to find out the truth which is hidden and which has not been discovered as yet. Though each research study has its own specific purpose, generally, a research is conducted for the reasons given below:
- To gain familiarity with a phenomenon or to achieve new insights into it;
- To portray accurately the characteristics of a particular individual, material, situation or a group;
- To determine the frequency with which something occurs or with which it is associated with something else;
- To test a hypothesis of a causal relationship between variables.
Motivation of a Research
To find out the motivation of a research is a question of fundamental importance. The possible motives for doing research may be either one or more of the following
- Desire to get a research degree along with its consequential benefits;
- Desire to face the challenge in solving the unsolved problems, i.e., concern over practical
problems initiates research;
- Desire to get intellectual joy of doing some creative work;
- Desire to be of service to society;
- Desire to get respectability.
However, this is not a comprehensive list of factors motivating people to undertake research studies.
Many more factors such as directives of government, employment conditions, curiosity about new things, desire to understand causal relationships, social thinking and awakening, and the like may as well motivate (or at times compel) people to perform research operations.
Criteria for a Good Research.
Whatever may be the types of research works and studies, one thing that is important is that they all meet on the common ground of scientific method employed by them. One expects scientific research to satisfy the following criteria:
- The purpose of the research should be clearly defined and common concepts be used.
- The research procedure used should be described in sufficient detail to permit another
researcher to repeat the research for further advancement, keeping the continuity of what
has already been attained.
- The procedural design of the research should be carefully planned to yield results that areas
objective as possible.
- The researcher should report with complete frankness, flaws in procedural design and
estimate their effects upon the findings.
- The analysis of data should be sufficiently adequate to reveal its significance and the
methods of analysis used should be appropriate. The validity and reliability of the data
should be checked carefully.
- Conclusions should be confined to those justified by the data of the research.
- Lastly, a good research depends a great deal on the integrity and commitment of the
In order to do a good research, we must know the objective of a research, hopefully this article was helpful to clearly answer what the objective of a research should be. Let us know in the comment section below if you have any questions or suggestions.